Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Parenting - Do you every buy your kids toys because you wish you could play with them too?

When I look back at my childhood, I remember having a large doll house, Holly Hobbie dolls, and Strawberry Shortcake dolls. I had quite a few, but I would get one every so often. Going to Toys R Us to get one more for my collection was one of the most exciting events of my childhood. Toys R Us seemed so huge! I was only 4 years old and this place was like miles and miles of toys. But that doll house got broken that same year and I kept the dolls and smaller houses for years to come. Yet after that small period in my life I have no recollection of playing with dolls. Maybe it is that I just don't remember my life from 5 years old until I was 10. It's like those 5 years disappeared into thin air. It's weird, I have several memories of me being 4 and 5. One memory of being 6, one memory of being 7 (mainly just who my teacher was and some students in my class). One memory of being 8 (I changed schools that year), none of being 9, several of being 10, 11, 12 and so on.So after I was 10, I didn't play much with dolls. I don't remember playing with toys at all. Just reading, and listening to music, watching TV, and playing with my cousin. So when I look back to my childhood the only time I recall playing with dolls was when I was 4. Now with my daughters I see their dolls and I must say that I want to play with them. When they say: Mommy! I want another Strawberry Shortcake, or I want that Monster High Doll, or that Barbie, or that Ken. I fake being upset and say that they have too many dolls already, but I let them beg, and I always end up buying the doll after all. And it's not because I can't stand my ground, but because deep down inside I want those dolls too. I don't like playing pretend as much anymore, but just the act of having the doll in my hand, maybe fixing her clothes and brushing their hair, and looking at the tiny little food items, and plates, and stuff just makes me feel like a child again and for one brief moment I don't see the mountain of dolls that they have in their room, I just see a 36 year old little girl who is lucky enough to have another doll to play with.

Do you ever buy toys for your children just because you wish you had them when you were a child?
What are your favorite toys?

2 comments:

  1. What a hysterical topic...mostly because it is so true! LOL I've especially done this with books. I love buying her ones that I loved as a kid so I can have an excuse to read them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved my Barbies. I wish now that I had saved them. We had all boys, so I really didn't like anything they had! Now we have 2 granddaughters so I do find myself purchasing things that I wanted as a child! I saw your post that you are from PR, I am too! My link will take you to my Puerto Rico page!~Lisa

    Puerto Rico Me Encanta

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain