Sunday, May 22, 2011

Health - What are your Food Monsters?

I keep thinking about loosing weight as I see the amazing progress my husband is doing and I think to myself. What is keeping me from going all out? What stops me from being disciplined? What keeps me down?
There is this part of me who doesn't want to feel deprived. I little voice in my head that tells me, If you are going to start this diet you won't be able to eat Tiramisu anymore, so you better eat it now before you start your diet. You better eat that oreo double stuff now or you will never get to eat it again... So that is what stops me from going all out and trying to loose weight.
Do you ever hear that voice?
I hear it everyday, the fear of being stuck eating bland stuff, or eating soups. Oh! How much I hate soups!!
There is another voice inside my head that tells me that I'm being irrational, that I will eat what I love again, just not all the time. And the voice points out that when I am not afraid to loose the object of my desire then I am not as interested in it. I can have cake or cookies in my house and if I don't feel like I am being deprived of them then I don't feel the need to eat them. So I decided to make a list of foods that I'm afraid to loose, those things that stop me from going on a full regime that will allow me to loose weight.

1. Oreo Cookies, Double Stuff = 140 cal for 2 cookies plus the 80 cal of the cup of skim milk

2. Tiramisu - A delectable dessert that I had not tasted in years yet recently discovered again in the Coffee Shop we go to for our Women's Writing Workshop on Wednesdays.

3. Surullitos - Cornmeal fritters. I eat them about 3 times a year, but this last month when I went to PR, I ate like 3 years worth of them.

4. Pizzaroli - Chef Boyardee Pizza Ravioli. I rarely eat these also, just love them so much!

5. Empanadillas - I love eating empanadillas, yet I do not eat them that frequently either.

6. Flautas - Chicken Flautas, it's a Mexican dish. Chicken rolled in a corn tortilla to make a little straw like shape, and deep fried, then covered in sour cream, and green jalapeno sauce. Yum. Also, a 5 times a year plate.

I mean, after looking at these I realize that the things that make me second guess my diet, are things that I don't eat every day. So even if I were to eat them in the same way I normally eat them it wouldn't be much of a problem.

How about if I allow myself to eat Oreos 2 times a week...Two times a week is too little, you should eat the whole box now, before you start your diet....Here it goes again, the evil little voice...Ok, so let's ignore Oreos for now.

I can eat, Tiramisu once a month. I can deal with that.
I will allow myself to eat surullitos once a month. They are quite time consuming so I will probably eat them less than that.
I will allow myself to eat Pizzaroli once a week.
I will allow myself to eat empanadillas once a month.
I will allow myself to eat Flautas once a month.

Well after writing these statements I realize that the Oreos are the only ones that give me a hard time. So I will allow myself to eat 2 Oreos every day. I know I ate 5 already today, maybe I should just eat 2 more now, and tomorrow you'll start your diet. Oreos are a monster. I vow to not buy Oreos double stuff after this box finishes. I will wait more than a week to buy more. I will buy only the mini Oreos for the girls, as I don't like them as much and won't be tempted. That worked. :)

I realize that my main problem here are Oreos Double Stuff. I cannot Not eat them as long as they are in the house, but I can make the choice not to buy them again when they finish. And if I find myself craving it so bad, then I will only buy a singles pack to calm me down.

Do you struggle with some food monsters as well? What are they?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain