Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Household - Would you eat something delicious even if it looked disgusting?

The other day I was checking out the Failblog when I saw this picture of some chocolate cupcakes.


We love chocolate cupcakes at home, chocolate brownies, chocolate cake, chocolate ice cream, so I showed the picture to my daughter's and asked them. Would you eat these cupcakes? They both looked disgusted and said no. Not even if they smelled delicious? Not even if you were 100% sure they would taste delicious? No, and No. But Gaby said that if she was told that those were the most delicious cupcakes in the world she might consider tasting them, but would be hesitant to try them.
This reminded me of when I was in middle school and I went to a friend's party and she served crackers with blue cream cheese. She had only added blue food coloring to the cream cheese, and I LOVE cream cheese, but some reason, seeing blue cream cheese reminded me of play dough and even though I tested it, I thought it tasted disgusting. As an adult I made the same thing, blue cream cheese and it tasted normal not as disgusting as I remembered. So I wondered, does the appearance of food make a difference on the taste? I'm sure it's purely psychological because the taste of something does not change with presentation, but our perception of the food item is influenced by how it looks. I wonder if smell also has some impact, I know that if something smells disgusting people are not going to try it, but what about something that smells delicious yet looks disgusting? Would that change the person's perception of the food item?
What do you think?

1 comment:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain