Monday, May 23, 2011

What makes a landmark constantly amazing?

I have lived in NYC for 11 years. For the past 2 years I have been taking the train to work. On my way, I pass by an area where I can see the statue of liberty from afar. Every day for years I sit in the perfect chair that gives me the best view of he statue of liberty. I see this like I'm going to see a special show and it amazes me how I seem to be the only one that looks at it as we pass by. Is it that people don't know it's there? or is it that people just don't care anymore? At what moment does the statue of liberty becomes such a common sight that people dismiss it?

Yet in another way I can relate. I can see the empire state building out my window, yet I don't go over and look at it everyday. Is it that when you can see something anytime you want, does it loose its value? What is the difference between the empire state building and the statue of liberty? Is it the Historical Significance? Tallest Building versus a sign of freedom? How about the Brooklyn Bridge? I see it often and it still amazes me, especially at night. But the things that amaze me the most are the ones I don't have access to see them at all times of day or night as it is like with the empire state building. What makes a landmark constantly amazing? Is it over all significance or the accesibility of view?
If you lived in Paris and could view the Eiffel Tower through your window. Would you ever get tired of it? Would it loose its power? How about the great Pyramids? Or the Sphinx?

Do you live near a famous landmark? Does it still amaze you after many years? Why do you think is that?

2 comments:

  1. Great blog post!!! I actually live in Las Vegas, NV where the great 'welcome' sign on Las Vegas Blvd. was recently recognized as a monument. Not as great as the Statue of Liberty but Viva Las Vegas :) Thank you for coming by my blog and leaving your awesome comments. It brighten my day!!!
    Many blessings,
    Barbara
    http://spanishforkids-jbplbarbara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. O gosh i've had the same mental conversation so many times.. From the building i used to work, you could see the eiffel tower.. at night it has these incredible lights, like a tower of stars twinkling.. and then it has this pulsing rays of light that go off from the top, like a watchtower.. I've lived here since 1997, and when i go to downtown paris i still have a sort of 'tourist mentality' looking at the buildings, the monuments.. i often take the bus, for i hate the Métro parisien,because i can sit and watch from the window. so yes, it still amazes me and i guess it will always be..

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain