Sunday, January 22, 2012

Snow Days


When I was a small child I lived in Queens, NY for a while, and that was the first time I ever saw snow, since Puerto Rico never sees snow.  I immediately fell in love with the snow, I would even get upset and couldn't understand how there where mean people who would throw salt at the snow.  As a 4 year old child, I could not understand how people wanted to take away the snow from the sidewalk.

I remember that one time I was sick and it snowed and I wanted to play outside but I couldn't, so my mom took a sleigh that I had (it was a red circle) and she left it outside to accumulate snow and then brought it inside for me to play. I can remember as if it was today, playing with the snow that day.

Many years passed and I am again living in NYC where there is snow, and my children are as much in love with snow as I was back then when I was 4. The only difference is that now, as a grown woman and a mother, I can understand why people put salt in the snow, and why there is a need to get rid of it, yet my daughters still don't.

I must say that I don't like snow anymore. I only like how it looks while it falls, and how pretty it is those first few hours, but then reality strikes, and I am left to deal with the shoveling, the digging out the car, the slush, the blocked streets, the cold, and all of that and it makes me wish I was in the warm weather and able to go to the beach to relax.

I have noticed that a lot of my friends who live in warm climates, dream of snow, and those who live in cold climates dream about warm weather. The Grass may be greener on the other side for some, but what do you think, do you enjoy Snow days? Or do you prefer the warm climates?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain