Thursday, August 4, 2011

Do you avoid conflicts in Blogs?

Recently I have written a few posts with subjects that are debatable. I have expressed my opinions on something and I am sure that there are out there a whole bunch of people who would have different opinions than I do.

I know I have been there. Through Voiceboks and other sites I have met a lot of mommy Bloggers and I go to their pages and read their posts and we are all here to create a community. But what happens when you go to a site, with the best of intentions and you read the most recent post and it talks about something that you are completely against? Or if they are bashing something you really love? Or if it's talking about a different Religion than your own? Then what? Do you comment on their posts anyway? Do you make a non specific comment like: "Following from so and so website :)." I must admit I have done it. And I have thought to myself, well, I am here to meet new people, we are both mom bloggers, I want to show support for the other moms, but the truth is that in other circumstances I would not read this blog because it goes against my beliefs. I go and do what I think its best at the time. Sometimes I will just like their facebook page, and leave a generic comment, or find something that I truly can identify with from the other blog. I read several posts and see one that might be something I can relate to, or just comment on wordless posts, you can always find nice pictures in most blogs. But most of all I am honest, whatever I say it comes from the heart. Sometimes though I read a post about something I don't like and debate to myself whether I should comment and mention my difference of opinion. The truth is that I welcome debate in my Blog, I really truly want to know what people think, whether it is agreeing  with my opinion or not. But I also don't want drama, people doing snarky comments and being all rude and nasty. I want nice and polite honest opinions. It makes me wonder whether my controversial posts don't get comments because of this issue.

What do you think? Do you also encounter yourself with these situations? What makes you leave a nice thoughtful comment in a Blog? What do you do if you read something that goes against your own views? Would you comment on it? How about if someone writes in your Blog that they have a different opinion about what you are writing, and you feel really strongly about the subject, what would you do?

3 comments:

  1. I stay as kind as I can even if the post or comment has a differant opion then my own, but I will stand up to anyone who's being hateful, as for any religion post, I try to follow thoses who believe as I do-I don't like to get in debates over religion I believe all of us have a right to believe/not believe as we wish, so thoses post I may keep quite about just so theres no debate-thats not why I blog. I like to hear peoples honest opion and if they don't agree thats ok just don't put me down as a person =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts on Religion, you present a very valid point. I also agree that everyone has the right to have their own beliefs so if I read a post that mentions religion and I want to comment on it, I comment on the points that I agree with, I would never put down other people's beliefs. However, I have been one to wonder if I should even mention that I have different views, for example, if I read a post written by a Jewish person and I am not Jewish, is it OK to say: "Even though I'm not Jewish I agree with this and that" is this acceptable? or should the part about religion be omitted all together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following on VB and even following on Twitter. As far as other people's blogs, it really depends. If someone, for example, is bashing the Catholic religion, I wouldn't comment. My comments aren't going to change anyone's mind about a hard and fast issue. If it's something less serious, I might present a differing point of view politely. Though I support other people's blogs (like now), I have my limits.

    All the best,

    Clayton
    http://www.claytonpaulthomas.com
    twitter: claylauren2001

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain