Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dealing with Emotional Vampires

Have you ever felt emotionally drained after being next to someone?

For the past couple of days I have been feeling emotionally drained at work. As if there is this dark energy all around the office. I had never felt this way at work before. Today was the worst day of all.

Monday was a very hectic day at work, as most first of the month are in my line of work. I work at a Real Estate Management company, and between complaints about leaks after the rain over the weekend, rent payments, new tenants moving in, and lease signings I had my hands full all day. Yesterday I encountered myself with a situation that I was not expecting. I do not feel in the liberty to go into details in order to protect another person, but lets say that someone else in the office was going through a hard time and was unable to handle the pressure and felt bad, even bashed, even though the complaints were based on facts and in no way were meant to hurt anyone.

I was not directly present when all of the events happened, but rumors made me think that someone is having a problem with me. It is not the first time I hear of someone feeling like I have something against them when the truth is that I have a lot less of a problem with them than they imagine in their heads.

Today the office felt tense, very quiet, barely any words were exchanged and I could feel the dark cloud over the entire office. It was very uncomfortable working that way. I chose to not push the issue. I wonder if things will follow its course and fade. But if it doesn't then I would have to see a different way to approach the situation.  I am not into high school drama, and this is exactly how it feels. As I left the office this afternoon I found myself falling asleep in the train, I could barely stay awake, and this feeling has lasted for a long time after work was over. My cousin says that she thinks I am being the victim of an emotional Vampire.

I searched online about emotional Vampires and found an interesting post from Psychology Today that speaks about Emotional Vampires and gives ideas on how to prevent them from draining you.

Have you ever been the victim of an Emotional Vampire? How do you deal with it?
Read the full article: Who's the Emotional Vampire in your life?
Please share your story, I want to know more. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain