Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Grandparent's house...


My grandparent's house is very significant to me. It is where I grew up, it is where I spent a great deal of my life in, and it is the only stable home I have ever had.
As I grew up, me and my mom moved a lot, and then when I got married I also moved a lot. But there was always my grandparent's house as the only constant. It is a wooden house, whose facade has changed a lot throughout the years, but the main components of it have remained the same.

This is the main location of most of my dreams. Since I am so into Dream Interpretation I have read that the house that is represented in your dreams as your house, tends to be the place that deep down you truly consider home. I have moved so much that I was never able to associate any of my houses as my home. Although for a while there I started dreaming about being in my current apartment since I have lived here for 6 years, but now I am going to be moving again so I started dreaming with my grandparent's house again.

I love my grandparent's house with it's humble wooden walls, my mom paints it every several years and keeps it looking fresh and pretty. There's 4 acres of land with lots of flowers and fruit trees (avocados, banana, mango, lemon, passion fruit, guava, coconut..) and growing up there was so amazing, I loved being able to just walk out the door and pull a fruit out of the tree and eat it. It was very upsetting when I moved to NY and saw that if I wanted to eat mango I had to pay $5 for one.


Another amazing thing about my grandparent's house or "Mami & Papi's house" as I call it, is that is is far away from the rest of civilization, which means that at night I can look up into the sky and see EVERY SINGLE STAR up in the sky.  When I was growing up I remember sitting on top of my grandpa's car, a brown El Camino truck, at night with my cousin and look up at the stars and just talk.


That el Camino was also so meaningful to me, I remember filling up the back with water and making a makeshift swimming pool with my cousin. I also remember sitting on the hood of the car and my grandpa or my mom driving up the hill to my grandparent's house with us there, or in the back.

I wanted to keep that truck, but the car got broken down and I never got to drive it.

My grandparent's house is full of most of my memories from my childhood, and it will continue to be significant to me for the rest of my life.  I am very grateful to have my grandparents still be alive and well, living in that house. And when I am old and gray I still hope to be able to have that house be part of my life, and then be part of my children's lives and hopefully it will continue to be part of the family for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain