Monday, February 28, 2011

TV or No TV, That is the Question

It's been two weeks since I have no Direct TV, one day it just suddenly stopped working, as it constantly searched for a non existent signal. I called Direct TV and they sent over a technician who said that he could not fix it because the Satellite was owned by my landlord who is using a private contractor for his service and legally they cannot touch it as it is private property. They told me I should call the private contractor to get him to fix it. Well, the private contractor said he can come over right away and fix it, for $92 and he will give me a receipt so I can get credit from Direct TV. This sounds really fishy, so I tell the guy that I am going to call Direct TV and find out if it's true that they give credit for that. I call Direct TV and they say that they do not give credit for that kind of thing. So here I am back and forth with Direct TV and the private contractor and nothing is getting resolved. I don't feel comfortable paying $92 to get some guy to upgrade my Direct TV service so that I can use it. The thing is that instead of having individual satellites for each apartment, the landlord is using one big satellite and splitting it, and it has been overloaded and cannot accept any more people, so in order for me to see TV, I need the upgrade. So I am left with one question, TV or No TV.
With today's technology and the help of the ability to watch TV in the computer and devices that allow you to see the computer on your TV screen and the wonderful invention of Netflix and their instant view movies and TV shows I must say that in 2 weeks I haven't really missed having TV. And what I have noticed is that the girls now play more, draw more, paint more, talk more. And life seems a little bit better. There are periods of quiet when the TV stays still and the girls go about their days as if the TV didn't matter and it makes me realize that No TV has been a blessing. We have to carefully select what we watch and we don't have to worry about watching something at a specific time, we watch whatever we want, when we want it. And that is great.
So today I called to cancel service on my Direct TV and after a long talk with the Direct TV people they told me that they were going to investigate this private contractor because the story I told them did not sound like something that it is legal as my service is not set up as a multiple dwelling service. So while they investigate I will enjoy my TV-less time and the quietness that comes along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain