Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Do women like reading more than men?

Ever day I take the bus and then a train and it's very often that I see people reading. However it always amazes me when I see a man reading a book. Men usually read newspapers, women books. And yes, this might be a generalization, or maybe a stereotype, but it's the average of what I see on my daily life. I think I am going to make a survey for about a week, and log how many people I see reading in my commute to work every day and how many are men and how many are women. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Anyway, I also have noticed that most writers are men. I know that there are a great amount of women writers, and good ones, but I think that the stereotype of the writer is that it is more often than not, a man.
So isn't this odd?
Perhaps I am just observing a little bit of what it is really out there in the world, but for me, I don't know many men that like to read books, it's perhaps a rare find. What do you observe in your town, or around the people that you usually come across with, who reads more? Men or women? Who writes more, men or women?
If any of you would like to make a survey like I will please send me your results and I will post them in the upcoming blog with the results of my observation.
I will make a sheet with the following notes:
How many men do I see reading throughout the day?
How many men read newspapers?
How many men read books?

How many women do I see reading?
How many women read newspapers?
How many women read books?

See how it turns out?
What do you think the outcome will be? I would be really interested in seeing the outcome in a different city than Brooklyn. Who's researching with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain