Monday, July 18, 2011

Would you consider going back to school?

Most of my friends could not believe that when I was a child I loved school. Most kids tend to not like school, but I was different. Sometimes I think that somehow if I had never gotten married I would still be in school. I just love learning things, yet with family, kids, and work outside the home thinking about going back to school seems scary. How to do this if I feel like I barely have time for myself? But recently I have been reading this awesome book called Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill and this book even though it was written in 1937 it teaches you such great knowledge, not only knowledge that would help you get rich, but knowledge that would help you be successful in anything you want. In the Book Napoleon Hill says: "The "missing link" in all systems of education known to civilization today, may be found in the failure of educational institutions to teach their students HOW TO ORGANIZE AND USE KNOWLEDGE AFTER THEY ACQUIRE IT"  He even suggests that colleges should require that their students choose a specialization after a couple of years in the college and not allow them to keep studying things of general knowledge. He says "As knowledge is acquired it must be organized and put into use, for a definite purpose, through practical plans. Knowledge has no value except that which can be gained from its application toward some worthy end." I wish I had read this book when I was in college. I took 5 years of college and gathered random bits of information that I have no use for now. I did not specialize in anything. I didn't know what to do with my life, and it has taken me more than 15 years to finally feel like I'm getting somewhere, that I have an idea of what my life's purpose is. I think it is imperative that we educate ourselves, find our purpose and gather specialized knowledge that will help us reach our best potential. The new generation of children should be taught this early on, that way we can help them to avoid going through life undecided, we need to help our children be their best selves, we as parents can help them realize what their talents are, and help them perfect those talents, but genuinely help them see their own talents not the idealized image that we may have for them, but that's a whole other post.
As Napoleon Hill says: "If you contemplate taking additional schooling, first determine the purpose for which you want the knowledge you are seeking, then learn where this particular sort of knowledge can be obtained, from reliable sources." Specialized Knowledge is the key!
Now a days it is so much easier to go back to college with all these online courses and financial aid available.
If you are in need of a new perspective in life, consider online college
classes
Inspire yourself with the huge variety of courses available with accredited colleges.
So how about you? Do you think that you would go back to college if you had the chance? Tell me your story.

4 comments:

  1. I would take classes just for fun and to keep my mind busy...dont think I could do it full time =}
    New Follower
    Stopping in with vB =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laura....As I read your story I can see myself in it....Since I was 4 years old I can read and write.....and I was prepare to go to school at such an early age but I was supposed to wait until I was 6. I was convinced that I could do so many fun things at home that when it was my time to go ....I did not want to anymore. So I went to school not liking it and with A+ grades.

    My life was so full of adventures and I had this urge to learn and experiment all over the place. Maybe that was why I was the different one for many reasons. The one that ask why, how,where and the one that was friends with everyone. The one that new the difference between poor and wealthy...happy and sad...clean and dirty...empty and full...happy and sad...at such an early age...This was happening when my friends older than me were playing and having fun.

    And to answer your question...I learn things everyday and I remember from whom....I cherish that since I was really small...Maybe you are a little like me.....You enjoy learning things and telling everybody what you learn....you want people to be happy .....And as you know...I study Teacher at UPR, Art and Stain glass at Esc. Artes Plasticas and IAU ,Dental Hygienist at Puerto Rico School of Medicine ,Spanish dance from 4 to 27, Puppet Theater, Pastry Chef and so many other things...and all that help me work at so many places and do so many things....So knowledge is great because you will have ideas and extra material for when is needed.And believe me you will be surprised when you can.

    And Yes....I love school...I just pay for sewing classes...=)I love you and I am proud of You....=)Ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might consider taking part-time classes for something that I enjoy doing but definitely not something that requires brain work! I think I've been brain-dead for too long!

    BTW- Glad you enjoyed my Devil Curry recipe! Do you find that it tastes even better the day after?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love school--- right now I'm homeschooling my youngest son and I realize now how much school was a big part of my happiness!

    visiting from VB

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain