Friday, April 13, 2012

How to avoid negative thoughts





For years I have been studying the Law of Attraction, the one that says that we attract things with our thoughts. If we think positive thoughts, we attract positive things, and if we have negative thoughts, we attract negative things.

Today a person that is very important to me called me with a concern. She told me that someone had made a comment to her that got her thinking and then she became scared. As she started getting all worked up and worried about what this person had told her, she remembered what I had told her about the Law of Attraction, and then she got more worried.  Negative thoughts bring negative things, what if I attract bad things to me because I'm worrying so much?

Well, the truth is that when a person worries too much about something, there is a higher chance that the same thing that she's worrying about will become a self fulfilling prophesy, but once you are all involved in the process of worrying it is harder to get out of it. So what can a person do?

The first thing I do when I am starting to worry about something is to find a way to get my mind distracted and replace my negative thoughts with positive ones. When the negative thoughts are too intense the thing that works the best for me is to find something funny to think about. It can be watching a funny movie, or TV show, or looking at funny pictures. One of my favorite distractions is the Cheezburger Sites  I even have the app on my phone so I can have access to funny images at any time day or night. It works like magic because scrolling through funny and cute pictures gets your mind away from your worries long enough to be able to see things in a different light.

Another thing that helps combating negative thoughts is being grateful. Pause for a moment and think about all the positive things that you have that make you feel grateful. Even go as far as finding an upside to the negative situation. If you are without work, be thankful that you have had some time to rest and relax before you go back to another job that will be even better than the one you had.  If you are worried about something bad happening to you, be grateful that nothing bad has happened to you. But don't stop there, take some time every day to find at least 10 things to be grateful for, starting from being grateful to be alive, to having water to drink, a bed to sleep in, food to eat, clothes, etc. You name it.

It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Buddha: " Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful."

It is impossible to have negative thoughts when we are feeling grateful.

So, the question of the day. What are you grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain