Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The World vs Sponge Bob

I'm sure most of you have heard by now the new study made with 60 children that claims that watching just one episode of Sponge Bob causes problems of attention in a 4 year old child, they compared the results of this with children who watched Calliou. They claim that the fast paced nature of Sponge Bob does something to kids brains that makes them distractable.They also say that it is not only Sponge Bob but all these technological things that children these days are exposed to.

What is your take on it?

For example, I would like to know if there is a study where it shows whether these effects are long lasting or is it momentary just after watching the show.  I must admit that my 10 year old watched Sponge Bob when she was 4. She loved it, but she also loved Calliou. I do believe that my daughter has a tendency to get distracted. But I am not jumping to conclusions that the reason why she is like that is because she watched Sponge Bob.
I too am easily distracted, and I have struggled with organizing my time efficiently. Is it because I watched Sponge Bob with her? I don't think so. I really believe that I am easily distracted since I was small. Did the TV I watch impact my ability to be focused? I don't know. But I can be focused in one thing for long periods of time as long as I am in a room without any distractions, my daughter too.

On the other hand I have Elsie, my 5 year old. Also exposed to Sponge Bob at the age of 4 and I don't think she is easily distracted. She tends to engage in activities for long periods of time, and she actually learned a broader vocabulary from watching Sponge Bob. She is very bright and has an AMAZING memory! For example, in June 10th we went to this Japanese Restaurant called Shiro Japan. Elsie ordered chocolate cake, and on September 9th we went again to the same restaurant, she remembered the chef that cooked for us and she told me without looking at the menu, Mommy, I want to have a Midnight Delight, just like last time. A few minutes later I get the dessert menu and I look at the picture of the chocolate cake and under it read Midnight Delight. I was impressed on how she remembered the name of the cake she tried months ago, and not only that, she remembered what every single person in our table ordered for dessert the previous time.

So is it Sponge Bob? Or is it natural traits of our brain that are predisposed to certain things. Is it this world that has so many different things, so much technology, so much information.

What do you think about this study? I want to read your thoughts.

5 comments:

  1. Saw you on blog hop, now gfc following you. I think all children are different, sometimes I think TV may interfere but not always! karima :) www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. About Sponge Bob, Calliou....she even remember what they will say or do. Gaby have a photostatic memory....She gets distracted when she is doing things that are to long to finish or they are not of her liking....Kids ...all are different and I agree with you Laura.....Big hugs!!!!Ma....=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - I just wanted to thank you for your sweet comment and for following me. I'm here to return the favor. ;)

    As for your post... these studies... gosh, what WON'T they study and say is a precursor or correlated to ADD, ADHD, Autism, pooping in your pants... whatever the case may be. I go with - everything in moderation and every child is different. Take that, study! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Coming here from VB

    My son loves to watch sponge bob. Hope this wont affect him negatively. Yes, he tends to get distracted easily

    kathy
    http://www.smallkucing.com
    http://mamakucingbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter that struggles with attention the most was born that way. Even from an early age she wouldn't just sit and play with a toy. My kids were never big Sponge Bob fans, but I think my daughter actually became Caillou at one point. We were so impressed with all her new phrases until we saw an episode of Caillou--same phrases. :)

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain